French, Italian and Asian films dominate this year’s competition.
The official selection for the 68th Cannes Film Festival, which will run from May 13 to 24, was unveiled on Thursday in Paris.
Pierre Lescure, president of the Festival de Cannes, and Thierry Fremaux, its General Delegate, presented the full line-up at a press conference at the Normandie movie theater in Paris.
Fremaux announced that out of a whopping 1,854 films, submitted this year, 17 had been chosen for the competition and 14 will be in the "Un Certain Regard" sidebar competition, of which presided by Italian actress, Isabella Rossellini.
"It is beautiful, it takes risks," Fremaux said about the 2015 selection. He added that additional films would be added to the line-up in the coming days.
Films by French, Italian and Asian directors dominate this year’s competition for the top prize, the "Palme d’Or" (Golden Palm), which Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan, won last year for his movie "Winter Sleep".
The selection includes works by French director Jacques Audiard, the American Gus Van Sant and the Italian Nanni Moretti.
For the first time in its history, the festival has designated two people to be president of the jury: the Oscar-winning American directors, Joel and Ethan Coen.
And, for the first time since 1987, a film directed by a woman will open the Festival: La Tête Haute (Heads Up), by French director Emmanuelle Bercot, is a French comedy-drama about a troubled teen’s bumpy journey to adulthood.
The 68th Cannes Film Festival will pay tribute to the Swedish Hollywood Golden age actress Ingrid Bergman by this year’s poster. As part of the tribute, the festival will also screen Stig Bjorkman’s "Ingrid Bergman, in Her Own Words," in the Cannes Classics section.
Ong Won Chan's "Office" and Asif Kapadian's documentary on late British singer Amy Winehouse were also selected for midnight screenings. Woody Allen's "Irrational Man," Pixar's latest "Inside Out" and George Miller's "Mad Max: Fury Road" will be screened out of competition.
Commenting on the controversy regarding reports that selfies would be banned on the red carpet, where stars parade before photographers before screenings, Fremaux said " it's not official" but it is actively discouraged due to jams on the red carpet.